OperationGoddess - Vitamix & Dairy-Free Treats

Here comes the long awaited Vitamix post. Brace yourselves!






I liked the concept of a Vitamix at first sight; barely any waste product, as you blend up seeds, skins, stalks and all of fruits and vegetables. Quick, fast, makes everything SO smooth.

Such a device makes you appreciate Sunday mornings in Lidl; stocking up on as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible. A massive Whole Foods bag worth costs me less than £7, and that lot will make me breakfasts and lunches for 5 days.

The Vitamix works as a bit of a motivation tool for me; I'm like a child when it comes to things like this. I like new toys, pretty colours, fun things to drink (okay, maybe more like a giddy teenager  - JAGERWOO!!) and I freely admit this - but that doesn't mean this is a reckless purchase or a fad. I'm very taken with this piece of kitchen equipment (don't tell my toaster but it's been usurped from the top spot). 

For example; I am rubbish at eating fruit. Really rubbish. I like tarte flavours like blackberries, blueberries, and rhubarb, sweet things like raspberries and mangoes, sour refreshing flavours like lemon and limes, but the rest I couldn't care less about. I feel like I'm missing out a lot due to this (both in favours and nutrition wise), yes I'll put berries, rhubarb and mango in my porridge, but that's it. I can never face eating fruit first thing on a morning, I only like it when it's cold and freshly prepared and I only want a small bit before I start getting really hungry for something else (nope, no idea why this happens, even nutritionally I can't find a reason for this). Anyway, I digress, I am rubbish at eating fruit and would choose vegetables over fruit any day. This is where my Vitamix helps, now I'm eating fruit AND vegetables every day and it's not a chore. Even first thing in the morning. In that respect I'm a changed woman. That's got to have been worth the outlay as far as I'm concerned.

A great big jar (about a pint) of smoothie is currently consumed for my lunch, and it takes me an hour to get through it. I make MASSIVE ones though, I put healthy fats (read: peanut butter) in there too, so they tend to top out at around 300 calories each and keep me well sustained for the day.

I found this on Pinterest (what did we do before Pinterest??) and this has been my go-to inspiration for smoothie creations, I usually add an extra portion of fruit but it works a treat:


I find he trick is to be a bit fearless. Got celery left? Throw it in. Ever blended a whole lemon? Throw it in. Love the taste of maple syrup? Use it as your sweetener. Got unused green tea bags? Use a cup as your base. It's a great way to experiment with flavours and try things that you never thought you'd eat in a million years.

3 weeks in and I'm converted. I've got lots of energy, my sugar cravings are near non-existent and the words 'glowing' have been used to describe my complexion - it's been a long time since someone said that to me!



BUT! as I'm a big fan of balance and everything in moderation, this month I discovered a vegan blog which lists the biscuits that vegans can by in stores. Guess what are vegan?


OREOS! Dairy free gleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

And finally, honorable mention to this raw chocolate too as it's the best one I've found.


Raw Chocolate Company - you are officially brilliant. Raw chocolate that looks like chocolate (not squishy like some other brands can be) and tastes absolutely incredible. This mint one is my new favourite treat.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

6 comments:

  1. Wow you really are glowing!! Its a great way to get your 5 a day and good nutrition. Im tempted to get one for myself! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, it's a big outlay, £400 is not to be spent impulsively but it's used everyday in my house and I can't see that changing for a really long time.

      I'd suggest starting with just a regular blender and chopping everything up really small in the first instance. If you manage to break it from using it so much it's time to upgrade!

      Delete
  2. You look fabulous, healthy and glowing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I feel it. After all the pratting about with dairy it's nice to have my healthy skin back. :)

      Delete
  3. The smoothies looks delicious! Also love the jug with the handle on the 6th photo. Where's it from? I would love a vitamix to but it's just a tad bit expensive for me at the moment.. God I do really hate saving, but it's for a good cause so I guess it will be worth it, ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are expensive, but I had pined and saved for long enough! I'm pretty sure I'll use it to death too.

      The tumbler is from Firebox: http://www.firebox.com/product/6118/Insulated-Mason-Jar-Tumbler

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig