Recipe: Chia Seed Pudding

I'm a fan of breakfast. In fact if I can have two of those and a late lunch, I rarely need dinner. Breakfast is without a doubt my favourite meal of the day and I like to consume a hefty amount of calories in the mornings to get me on my way. 

Chocolate Chia Seed Pud
Multitasking: eating breakfast, working & thinking about what's for lunch 


My breakfasts vary; I love toast and smoothies, if I have time for eggs I will make an omelette but usually (for 5 out of 7 days) I'm on the go and having to find something quick to grab and take to work with me. But the real trick is to find the breakfasts which you can do in advance, so they feel indulgent but take no time at all to prepare day to day. 

This is how I discovered chia seed pudding. 

Chia seeds are a bit cool, I've been putting them in smoothies for a while as they help give a smoothie a thicker texture, they're also rich in B Vitamins, Magnesium, Omega 3 fats, protein and fibre (see here for a nutritional breakdown) but I'd never thought of making them into something of their own until I saw the Chia pots appear in the supermarkets. I picked one up to see what was in it, the ingredients were all things I had at home, but for a 170gm pot it was £2.39. HELL NO. I can make that myself for a fraction of the cost and make a better portion size. 

And this is how. 

Easy Chocolate Chia Pud (makes a generous 3-4 portions) 

Ingredients:

How to make chia puddings


Yep, there's three of them. I did say it was easy! Almond milk, chia seeds and your flavouring. I use my maca hot chocolate as it's one sweetened with a little banana (and laced with maca, obviously) but you can use regular cocoa too and add something to sweeten; like maple syrup or a splash of vanilla extract. You can also play around with the milk, for one batch I used the Praline Hazelnut Almond Dream and it tasted like Nutella. My guide is to think about what you'd put in a milkshake and use that. 

My perfect ratio of liquid to seeds is 3/4 cup chia: 3 1/2 cups milk, but again you can play around as you see fit. This ratio has worked every time for me though. 

To make, I add all the ingredients to my blender and whizz them up on a gentle speed (I'm using a Vitamix on 2) for a couple of minutes:

Easy Chia Pudding Recipe


As you can see I add the milk first. ALWAYS ADD THE MILK FIRST. Otherwise you won't get the seeds mixed in properly. They are tiny and will get stuck under the blades. 

Two minutes later, pour the mix into a bowl and have a stir. Then leave for five minutes and stir again. Then leave for twenty minutes and when you come back to stir the mix, it will feel and look really thick. Watch the changes in the next three photos as the seeds swell over this 30 minute period.


Fresh out of the blender

Five minutes later ... 

Twenty minutes later ... 


YEAH! PUD TO GO!

Now you need to let the pud settle for at least an hour but I'd recommend overnight, so it thickens up even more. Transfer the mix into a jar and let it have a snooze in the fridge. 


Easy Chocolate Chia Pudding Recipe
Look how fat those seeds are!


Easy Chia Pot


Then, the following morning, you're good to go! 


Chia Seed Pudding Chocolate



Some people have a lot of problems with these puddings because of the texture but if you can eat porridge or rice pudding, you'll be fine. As I said, I get a good 3 or 4 bowls out of this mix and I serve it really simply with fruit and a nut butter (as in my first photo; that was strawberries and peanut butter) but some days it can get adventurous: 


Love Life Lexi Chia Seeds Recipe
Topped with dark cherries, coconut and caramel coconut sauce

It's filling, makes a really substantial and healthy breakfast and can work as a sweet snack too if you always have a jar of it in the fridge. 

Try it and let me know how you get on. 
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig