The September Round-Up

September was eventful, but not quite as I expected.

BONKERS FOR CONKERS

It was nice to still have the last blasts of summer, albeit not that you'd notice it too much in my office as the aircon is Baltic. On days when it was 30 degrees outside I was hiding under my Harry Potter hoodie. This also set off something completely unexpected; a neck injury, which started off innocently enough with me thinking I'd slept funny and been a bit stressed but no, it was more serious than that. 

It's been a month of physio, eletrotherapy, massage, heat pads and much Kinesio tape, all of which were new to me. 



(So much for this being a cheaper month, I jinxed that!). We're now working through 'untangling' knots in my shoulders (barf) and learning how to sleep NOT on my front ::grumbles::

Despite borked neck, I still did lots. I went to see Richmond play their first home game in the Championship to celebrate a friend's birthday:



I clearly need to give more love to this team, as I'm sure my love for the Cubs over the last couple of years is what helped turn their luck around. More Richmond home games for me.


I went to see Amy Schumer with my fave couple:




I celebrated my 5th anniversary at work (and our 5th anniversary of the London office) with pizza - and yes, it's a Nutella pizza, and yes, it was as good as it sounds.




It's hard to believe I've been there for 5 years, since the company was a month old! Working for a start-up has been such an experience and I've really enjoyed it. It's a shame the market has been so slow this year (I work in Energy - Oil & Gas) and we've had some tough decisions to make, but I'm so thankful for my job and it keeping me gainfully employed, especially over this last year. 

I went to the Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising with my friend and we lost our shit over some of things in there which reminded us of our youth, I flipping loved that Pac-Man board game.





I spent a Sunday in Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, in a desperate attempt to absorb the last weekends of summer sunshine.





On top of that was trips to the Hunterian Museum and the British Museum. London sure has some nice places to go when it's the week before payday and you don't want to spend all your money.

I celebrated another friends birthday by taking him to the Yonderland Series 3 premiere with Q&A with the cast at the BFI; I'm bonkers for Horrible Histories, so I couldn't miss out on this.




After that my week was a blur of cinema, dinners, theatre and not enough sleep. Remind me to have a weekend off in October, yes?

Stuff from me this month:



Cool things from the internet this month:

Amy Schumer's The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo. This book is such a surprise as Amy covers a lot of topics, from sex and shoplifting, to gun laws and introversion. I was going through the book when I went to see her, so I felt like I knew a bit more about 'offstage Amy' when watching her be funny as hell on stage. The chapter on introversion is so good and made me want to be friends with her forever. 

Bury It by CHVRCHES. This song is totally my jam. I've even quoted bits of the lyrics on texts. IT'S LOVE. The video is brilliant too.

Tilted by Christine and the Queens. I'm a big fan of ASMR videos on YouTube and this song has a section with great ASMR qualities. 

iPhone 6S prices dropping like crazy, so I treated myself to a 128gb one (which was the same price as a 16bg one, thanks Carphone Warehouse).



LOOK AT ALL THAT SPACE!!!


My baseball Team, Chicago Cubs, doing me SO PROUD this season. I've even bought MLB TV so I can watch the last handful of games.

My Favorite Murder podcast, introduced to me by a friend and it's so good! Maybe don't listen to too many episodes before bedtime, though. 

All my favourite TV shows coming back on; like The Fall and Catfish. YAAAS!

I feel like I need to look after myself a lot in October. So far it's looking like a quiet from the middle of the month and I should try to keep it that way. After my neck doing one this month it's made me think a lot about my body and how I treat it. Number of massages ever had? ZERO. That changes this month. After this injury I want to keep my body in top form (as I run it ragged all over London) so I need to make myself commit to frequent deep tissue massages, so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again. It's the one thing I've always taken for granted, that my body will work forever perfectly, but even cars need tune-ups, so that's what I'm going to make sure I do more of from now on.

In addition, I set myself a challenge to follow the Government guidelines for weekly activity for 10 weeks, which is 150 minutes of 'moderate' activity per week. I had to check what 'moderate' was, and it turned out my daily walking commute wasn't covering it. So I've added some 'moderate' exercise into my routine. It's a lot easier than I thought it would be! I've got a history of overexercising, so this keeps me within an upper limit but also challenges me to improve my fitness (which is all I want to do).

This calls for new Sketchers! 

And I need to start taking my Vitamin D, because now the equinox is done, those earlier nights are rolling in fast.  
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig