WE: Gillian Anderson & Jennifer Nadel

Last week was the Women of the World Festival in London, an event which champions gender equality, celebrating the achievements of women and girls everywhere and examining the obstacles that keep them from fulfilling their potential.


Women of the World Festival 2017


I was new to the festival last year, when I went along to see Caitlin Moran launch Moranifesto on IWD, so as soon as the festival was announced for this year I had a good browse of the brochure to decide which event I wanted to go to. 

Of course, as soon as I saw this book launch announced, my tickets were purchased. 





WE: A Manifesto for Women Everywhere is an uplifting, inspirational, and intensely practical manual for change, providing nine universal principles that offer a path for dealing with life's inevitable emotional and spiritual challenges. It's for anyone who wants to see her own life and the world around her change for the better.

By combining tools that are psychological, political and spiritual, WE takes readers on a life-changing journey. It asks: Why are so many of us—and our daughters—still, in the 21st century, locked in depression and addiction, self-criticism, and even self-harm? How much more effective and powerful would we all be if we replaced our current patterns of competition, criticism, and comparison with collaboration, cooperation, and compassion?

Putting these principles at the center of our lives offers an antidote to our me-first culture and allows each of us to be freer and happier, and to replace unhelpful habits with a more positive, peaceful, and rewarding way of living. WE is a rallying cry for women to join together and create lasting change in our own lives, our communities, and across the world.

Authored by ... Gillian Anderson and Jennifer Nadel.


Gillian Anderson Jennifer Nadel
source

Empowerment with a hint of woo? Sign me up. 

I'll fully admit I came into this with my Gillian Anderson fangirl flag waving. I love this woman and have done since I was 15 years old. She's one I've grown up with; from Agent Scully to DSI Stella Gibson, Gillian has championed strong female roles in her TV work, and in all her work -  if you caught her in A Streetcar Named Desire you'll wonder how she didn't win all the awards for that performance, it was incredibly powerful. She's involved with a fleet of charities and is a fierce advocate for getting involved in volunteering. 

Jennifer I knew very little about until I bought tickets for this event, but a bit of research soon rectified this. A journalist, writer, environmental activist, a Green Party member and champion for women's rights. A decade long friendship between these two women had to lead to something incredible and WE seems to be it. 

The ladies, along with Jude Kelly, spoke to a 2000 strong audience at the Royal Festival Hall for an hour, explaining their motivation behind creating the book. Jennifer described it as the book needed before things got too much in your life; both her and Gillian answered very candidly questions about their difficulties in life and they put so much emphasis on self-love and the need to be kinder and more accepting of ourselves in order to be of use to others in life, something I'm fully onboard with.

After a good half an hour of questions from the audience, both kindly took up residence in one of the conference rooms and signed copies of the book.

Gillian Anderson Jennifer Nadel Book Signing


It was great evening listening to other women say that sometimes they struggle too, which shouldn't have to be said to glean understanding, but at the same time it's nice to hear it. It's comforting and reassuring to see that even someone who you can admire so much that they seem beyond your realm is just as human as you are.

I left very keen to read my copy, I think it's going to be a very useful book to have in the world.


Gillian Anderson Jennifer Nadel WE Women Signed Copy


SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. Oh, the jealousy! I really wanted to go to this. Love Gillian, I do - definitely need to pick the book up sometime as well.

    Meg | Elmpetra

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig